Careers with Opaque
From time to time we seek talented, engaged and enthusiastic people to join our team.
We're currently advertising for the below positions. If you don't see a suitable position here, but you would like to express interest in working with Opaque, please send your CV and resume to email@example.com, or contact us through the form below.
Opaque is an equal opportunity employer and applicants of diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply for all positions.
Senior Software Engineer
Opaque Media Group is an award-winning Melbourne based studio that specializes in an array of interactive and technology solutions within the film, games and enterprise sectors. We’re internationally recognized as being among the best Virtual and Augmented reality developers and we’re growing in exciting ways!
Opaque is forming a dedicated team, Opaque R&D, to help sharpen the cutting edge of emerging technologies across the many industries Opaque currently works in- including VR/AR/MR, advanced sensor and scanning technology, cloud computing, games technology, artificial intelligence and more.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be part of the core development team, working in close conjunction with an array of people in the different branches of Opaque Media Group. Day to day, you'll help develop new technologies, build new software platforms, and prototype and develop interesting new types of tools, applications, simulations, games and business solutions using emerging technologies from our partners.
At Opaque, you'll be joining a diverse and inclusive team that promotes a positive work environment and bringing on the mindset of being driven, innovative and passionate about their work. Opaque R&D fosters a flexible work environment that focuses on your long-term growth and professional goals.
Lastly, you may have the opportunity to work and travel to our array of global clients, and take a peek behind the curtain at what's next for the various industries Opaque are working to improve.
1. Do you use source control?
- Yes, extensively
2. Can you make a build in one step?
3. Do you make daily builds?
- Depending on the project- continuous integration for our pipelines is something you'll be expected to help build
4. Do you have a bug database?
5. Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Based on business needs
6. Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Planning is done on a regular basis
7. Do you have a spec?
- Yes (many!)
8. Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Open plan, moving towards clustered groups. Noise-cancelling headphones for all.
9. Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Yes- we frequently work with systems not yet available to the general public
10. Do you have testers?
11. Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- We extensively assess the skills of new coders over time
12. Do you do hallway usability testing?
· Work with designers, product managers, client stakeholders and production staff to develop new tools, applications, games and experiences based on existing and future requirements.
· Prototype and test new mechanics and user interaction techniques
· Help manage source control and continuous integration pipelines
· Architect and develop systems that are performant and scalable for deployment across Augmented, Mixed and Virtual Reality as well as traditional platforms such as PC, cloud, console or mobile
· Independently work within a small team to achieve project goals with minimal supervision and collaborate with other team members (and other teams) to meet project specifications
· Self-manage and construct tasks for both yourself and other team members
· Conduct technical testing and perform quality assurance, including cross-platform certification
· Develop and implement application, platform or technology updates and help provide technical support for clients or partners where applicable
· Be prepared for international travel for short-term deployment with the Opaque team or to events/exhibitions that Opaque R&D will partake in
· Cultural fit with the team at Opaque R&D (N.B. not a watchword for age or gender- this is about how you can work within our ecosystem!)
· Passionate about using technology in multiple fields- happy to apply experience across a number of different fields
· Demonstrable proof of work is essential, preference given to experience with shipped work; completed experiences/technologies/games
· Strong background in at least one of Unreal Engine 4 or Unity, and willingness to learn, extend and work across both engines in a non-trivial way
· Comfortable knowledge of both C# and C++ is required.
o In depth knowledge of at least one of these languages is essential
· Strong computer science skills including knowledge of software architecture, patterns and design
· Passable knowledge of web technologies (backend and frontend)
· Demonstrably excellent technical collaboration and communication skills
· Enthusiasm, motivation and desire to create engaging experiences using emerging platforms (as opposed to using only existing/stable technologies) is a must
· Extensive familiarity with source control
Additional Preferred Skills
· Previous development experience in novel user input devices/alternative user input devices
· Familiarity with automated testing in games or AR/VR/MR environments
· Prior project management or team management skills are a plus
· Knowledge of additional programming languages
· Previous experience with using AI and Machine Learning to solve real problems
· Previous experience with web and cloud computing technologies
· Low level programming and interface knowledge (e.g. render programming, data structure and memory optimization)
· Prior VR/AR/MR development experience
· Some familiarity with Gitflow principles
o Git command line tools
o Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment.
o Familiarity with unit and automated testing processes
· Performance and optimization experience
Opaque Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply for this position.